Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Don Herbert, aka Mr. Wizard, dead at 89


Are you old enough to remember Mr. Wizard on TV? Don Herbert better known as Mr. Wizard taught science on television to kids on the 1951-1964 series Watch Mr. Wizard. I am certain that Mr. Herbert was instrumental in lighting the fire of my imagination that has never gone out. I can remember setting in front of our old Philco Ford 10 inch television monstrosity that my mother would beat into submission frequently and watch Mr. Wizard do amazing things with ordinary every day objects! I would be dishonest if I said that I could remember exact episodes, but I can remember the absolute amazement at his antics. I can say with absolute certainty that my fascination with how things work can be traced right back to those flickering b&w images. Thank you Mr. Wizard.

Don Herbert died of bone cancer Tuesday June 11th 2007

No comments: