Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Kyle XY or why I would rather watch SpongeBob

Have any of you seen this show called Kyle XY? The show centers around a boy named Kyle (Matt Dallas), who wakes up in the forest outside of Seattle, Washington with no memory of his life up until that point. The series follows Kyle as he tries to understand the mysteries of who he is or why he has no memory of being a child. Oh and it seems he has no belly button. Have you seen it? Then join me as we commiserate together....Excuse me but how did this show get into it's second season? It's TERRIBLE! Is it worse than the SF Channel's Flash? You know, it just might be. Why? Because these people are taking themselves seriously! I am convinced that everyone involved with Flash Gordon knows they are hold a turd and are just passing it from one person to the next to see who drops it first. But they are inhaling deeply at Kyle XY and trying to convince us that we are smelling roses. Can we say two dimensional characters? No one has to walk offstage, just turn sideways and disappear. Kyle? Better Pinocchio, for all the wooden acting I witnessed. I tried, I really did, but I could not get through a whole episode. Nope, giving this one a pass. But omg, ABC has renewed it for a third season! What am I missing? They will cancel a show about a guy jumping through time because no one is watching, supposedly, and make a multi-million dollar stinker about the SAME THING and call it great! COME ON!!!!! We lost some very innovative shows over since the start of the new season and they are keeping trash fiction on the air. Sorry, I am not bellying up to the mundane bar, I will watch Sponge Bob instead, at least they are honest about what they are doing and what they are offering. OK, done ranting.

Kyle XY airs on ABC Family network, Mondays 8:00 PM
SpongeBob Sqarepants on
Nickelodeon

6 comments:

Colin P. Davies said...

Neither of these shows has been shown in the UK yet, so I can't judge. But SpongeBob rocks! It's clever, silly and at times hilarious. Much too good for kids. BTW The Sarah Connor Chronicles finally arrives here tomorrow. As a Firefly fan, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah you will Colin! Summer is so much more....ummm...active in the Sarah Connor Chronicles you will find her easy to watch. The main character is a bit of a miscast, to damn introspective to me. But I am watching!

Colin P. Davies said...

I have to admit I really enjoyed it. Having a naked Summer beat up the young thugs as a reference back to Arnie's arrival in the original movie was nice. A pity she didn't tear the guy's heart out! The relentless cop reminded me of the Fugitive. I just hope he doesn't do a Skully, being so focussed on his task that he refuses to see the facts (ie. robots) all around him.

Anonymous said...

See, I knew that you would! When she was on Firefly....well it was just such a standoffish character. In TSCC.....we like you said, naked and kicking the crap out of baddies...I will certainly watch more. Did you know that you can catch the back episodes on the TTSCC own site? http://www.fox.com/terminator/

Anonymous said...

um? you said you didnt get through the first episode? so how can you judge? Also how old are you? Its directed toward a curtain age.
Kyle XY is an awesome scifi show.
Its based on things like epigenetics.
Biology. Cognitive computing. and Quantum physics. Yeah the characters can be cheesy, but hello? Its on TV.

Anonymous said...

Science Fiction should be one of the few genres where age should not matter. Science is for anyone that has an inquiring mind and a willingness to learn. So, to have a show that must depend on a demographic should now tell you something about how confident they are in the ability of the plot to stand on its own. The science is at best quasi. I have no problem with a character has angst where his genesis lies.... however even this device is often under played to more palliative plot lines. How could I judge after just a partial episode? Oh come on....you have never looked at a show and 2 minutes in your changing the channel? Please... At what point in a car wreck are we allowed to say...oh shit we are going to crash? And finally since when does TV science fiction have to suck? Believe me, I have walked out of my share of silver screen offerings, that is hardly a guarantee of quality. There have been scores of high quality science fiction on the square screen. But if you want to buy into the 20somthing/friends demographic and the slop they want to feed you and then tell you that it is in fact good .... be my guest