Tuesday, November 16, 2010

View of Earth from the ISS

Here is a pic that I saw while reading through the Dvice blog entries. Yes, I think we can all be envious.
Astronaut Tracy Caldwell Dyson shown here gazing down at Earth from the International Space Station. The station is apx 217 miles above Earth and, orbits once every 90 minutes apx.

Dyson is pictured here in the module called the Cupola. It is acording to the Wikipeda
  • an ESA-built observatory module of the International Space Station (ISS). Its seven windows are used to conduct experiments, dockings and observations of Earth. It was launched aboard Space Shuttle mission STS-130 on 8 February 2010 and attached to the Tranquility (Node 3) module. With the Cupola attached, ISS assembly reached 85 percent completeness. The cupola is the largest window ever used in space.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a cool picture! I feel like a kid again, as I started getting into astronomy and wishing I could have been an astronaut.

Beam Me Up said...

I KNOW Phil! I just really got a clue as to how big the cupolla really is and you could just hang there....What a view huh?

Sandra said...

Awesome! I'm too fat, old and outta shape, but I wish I could go to the space station.

Beam Me Up said...

Oh come on Sandra!
Any of us that are old enough to remember and old enough to understand are all to fat and old and out of shape. Hell we can dream though! Plus it is so much easier when you have such a great pic!!!!