Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Huge Luna Cave Discovered

In a recent Gizmodo article there is a report that the Indian Space Research Organization has discovered a "giant underground chamber" near the Moon's equator, in the Oceanus Procellarum area.

Discovered by the Chandrayaan-1 spacecraft the structure is more than one mile long and 393 feet wide.

The ISRO is speculating on good uses for the huge cave. It is sufficiently well protected to block harmful radiation from damaging long term occupants as well as constant temperatures of around -4 Fahrenheit where the surface experiences huge variations in temperature.

4 comments:

Charles said...

Hey Im a retired mason . 63 . I can go up and lay block at the entrance with a door opening. I will be sronger there so we could use bigger blocks with lead shielding. Then we pump air in and draw water from the craters. I always wanted to go into space:)

Beam Me Up said...

There ya go Charles! We will damn well bootstrap our way back to the moon! I KNOW I would be more effective in 1/6G. I can do electronics and electricity in a pinch... we are on our way!

bmh said...

Count me in, too! Granted, my background is in archaeology, but, hey, you never know...

Beam Me Up said...

BMH! Exactly, one never knows! In my mind the broader the base, the more successful the mission! Welcome aboard!