Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Seth Macfarlane provides Sagan papers to LOC

   Not only has Seth given us hit shows like American Dad, and Family guy, He apparently has a thing for Carl Sagan as well.  Although he didn't have possession of the papers, he provided the funds to obtain 800 boxes of documents and papers that included correspondence, book drafts, and idea files, along with many other papers even from his childhood.
   Carl Sagan  (Nov, 9,1934 - Dec 20, 1996) was an american cosmologist, astrophysicist, astronomer, and author. He did a lot to promote the popularization of space and natural sciences, as he brought it down to a level that the normal everyday person could understand.  He was involved in more than 20 books, either as editor, author or co-author. He also published over 600 scientific papers and was an advocate of the scientific method, promoted SETI, and basically pioneered exobiology. 
   He made numerous contributions to NASA's exploration programs such as Pioneer, Viking, etc, and was awarded medals for distinguished Scientific Achievement, and Public Service from NASA, National Academy of Sciences, and the National Science Foundation.
   I personally believe he did a great thing trying to bring science to everyone. Some of them understood at least. 
   Seth Macfarlane had this to say of Carl Sagan.
   "The work of Carl Sagan has been a profound influence in my life, and the life of every individual who recognizes the importance of humanity's ongoing exploration of our universe. The continuance of our journey outward into space should always occupy some part of our collective attention, regardless of what Snooki did last week."
  I couldn't agree more. It's amazing how sometimes, something will come along that makes you think we still might have a chance. Thanks Seth. We appreciate this.

5 comments:

Beam Me Up said...

Now there is the last person whom I would consider as a fan of Sagan! Yes, it would appear that there is intelligent life here. Sagan's tv series were interesting in a profound new way for me. Up until that time, tv science was a passive process, But Sagan gave you grist for the mill. It is a shame that fewer than 1 in 10 can even tell you who he was! Recently I weighed in on a conversation where the main subject was tv science series and of course most of the conversation revolved around Morgan Freeman, My comments were you know he is an actor reading lines don't you? And then I said I thought Carl's Cosmos was much more thought provoking...they had no clue who Sagan was or Hawking for that matter...now granted Hawking is a bit out there but Sagan?!!!How do you respond?!

kallamis said...

Oh bloody H... The bad thing is, I know you aren't kidding. But Hawking is current. Sometimes I really believe we are doomed. Maybe they will soon though.
I forgot to mention that there is a new 13 part series scheduled to air next year, hopefully. It is titled Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey. Seth and Sagan's widow have been corroborating on it with some of Sagan's old collaborators. It will be hosted by astrophysicist Neil Degrasse Tyson. It's a successor to the 1980 tv mini-series.

Beam Me Up said...

Ahh see, you knew where I was going. Neal's enthusiasm is contagious. He has a knack of being able to bring the sciences to the common man and make it interesting! I was honestly hoping that someone would offer him something with some meat on it and that seems to be just what IS happening. I love hearing him speak!

kallamis said...

Yeah he is something, though I haven't as yet decided to forgive him.
He's a planet killer. He punked Pluto.
I may eventually forgive him and his cronies, but I'm not ready to yet. I get what he did, and why, but still wrong is wrong. Even if he is technically and scientifically correct.
I'll try and find out if there is a date set yet for this show, but I haven't found one yet.
Personally I'd like to know now, so that I can plan around it.

Beam Me Up said...

Somebody had to have the balls to set a precedence. If you don't want certain bodies in the solar system to be planets then there HAS to be a guideline on what constitutes a planet. I grew up with Pluto as a planet but steadily grew more and more uncomfortable when many more objects in the outer system were in line for planet status. I embraced a set of very clear guidelines that set the bar. Planetoid Pluto is certainly a somewhat bitter pill, but at least now there is a concise guideline that it's driven by public pressure. It's time. Are we to continue speak as children or is it truly time to put away childish things...