Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Review: Predators

Predators

Starring
Adrien Brody, Topher Grace, Alice Braga, Walton Goggins
Laurence Fishburne, Danny Trejo

Another dvd from my friend Mark. Here we have a film in the Predator franchise. I would not call it a reboot, but Predators calls more to the first movie than any other. As in the first Predator movie, the setting is a sub tropical jungle, the first twist though is none know of each other. If you haven’t seen the movie yet, I am not going to spoil the very inventive opening sequence. I will say that nothing is quite what it seems.

Laurence Fishburne is a survivor who is clearly around the bend, unfortunately his time on screen is very short, which is really a shame.

Not being a fan of earlier movies, I can say for sure if some of the reveals are already accepted, but for me, I had an Oh that’s cool, - moment.

Predators for the most part follows the first movie, just more aliens and perhaps more humans.

So, what can you expect? Well the movie is a straight ahead action movie. Plenty of blood and gore, big and even bigger guns, predictable plot, but the ending sets up a Predators 2 (oh I know) I will say the ending is not a gimme, otherwise it rote by the numbers. Forget about extras. Brainless entertainment, good photography, well framed action sequences, but the end result is MEH

If you’re entertained by this type of move, the action and the “surprise!” moments will do it for ya, but for me overall it is a 5. If you’re a fan, go ahead, if you have never seen a predator movie, go ahead...otherwise, don’t waste your money.



2 comments:

Dave Tackett said...

I'm completely with you on this on. It's an OK rental, but not really worth buying, unless it is extremely cheap.

Beam Me Up said...

Hi Dave
Yep, the bargain basement bin for a few bucks works for me.

Not that this was a complete waste. Fishburn really went to the edge and peered over and the reveal at the end,
But to balance a whole movie on these meager offerings...