Monday, February 25, 2013

End Of The World

    Okay, I know I'm going to get it for this one, but  
I am going to give a good review for a movie that
premiered on SYFy Saturday night. Still hate that
 spelling.
    Anyway, it was actually a pretty good movie. 
So here is the basics of the movie, and then we'll 
get to why I am giving it a favorable review.
    The Earth is being bombarded by plasma from the 
heliosphere. They look like little blue electrical meteorites
 actually, or small energy balls from DBZ. 
    This is not why the movie is any good, trust me. Even with a few people that went splat in all directions, that still isn't why it gets a decent review. But here is why.
    It stars Neil Grayston, who was Fargo in Eureka, and Greg Grunberg from Heroes. And this is what makes the movie. Greg owns a video store, and Neil works for him. They are complete movie addicts, and even have a closet full of survival bags for different scenarios, from alien invasion, to zombie holocaust. 
    And they are constantly using lines from movies they have seen. Anyway, they are the ones that go to an asylum to rescue a doctor that has built a bunker. The Doctors name is Dr. Walter Brown. When they rescue him, he tells them almost immediately that his friends just call him Doctor Brown. Yep, you are starting to see where this is going.
    I don't want to say too much, because I can't without removing too much of the humor from the film. Needless to say, it is a comedy sci-fi, with lines from numerous movies, used throughout the film. 
    Now this is in no way an equal to Red Dwarf, or most of the other comedy sci-fi shows and films that are out there. But it is also better than a lot of them as well. 
    IMDB has it at 5.1 out of 10 with 95 users voting so far. I personally give it a 6 for the lunacy, and for the constant line using of other films. As for the (ahem), science parts, I simply won't discuss that. 
    If you can catch it on SYFY watch it. If you find it on DVD somewhere and it isn't more than 2 bucks, go ahead and get it. There is nothing in depth about it, or even remotely scientific actually, but it is worth a quick watch for a laugh when nothing else is going on. 
    I admit I'm a lover of bad B movies, but this was actually a pretty decent B movie. The production company was World Pictures, and for this being their first film, they didn't do too bad. I mean, when you watch a Rutger Hauer movie like Hobo With A Shotgun, you know what to expect. This a B class SYFY movie, and you actually get more than you expect considering their recent disasters for the past 3-4 years. In truth, I was pleasantly surprised for once, instead of wondering where the last 120 minutes of my life went, along with 40-50 IQ points. At least with this, you only lose about 5 points.
    Okay, maybe I'd give it a 6.5 - 7. But only for the comedic aspect. I really love B movies. And it really was funny. I gave it a 9 on IMDb to help boost the ratings, but if I did that here, you people would rip me a brand new one. 

No comments: